- Classic French Recipes don’t have to be inaccessible to the busy american home cook. Here I’ve updated the classic recipe, Bœf Bourguignon, to utilize a crockpot. Prep is done while you’re cooking dinner the night before and then combined in the crockpot the next morning. Voila! Classic French Taste in your Classic American Crockpot.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds stew beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine, young and full bodied (1 standard bottle)
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large carrot, cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, cut in half
- 2 cloves mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 cup red wine (leaving you with 2 glasses to drink with dinner)
- 20 small pearl onions, not pickled, cocktail onions
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Herb bouquet (4 parsley sprigs, one-half bay leaf, one-quarter teaspoon thyme, tied in cheesecloth)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
The night before.
- Cut the chunk of bacon into 1/4″ by 1 1/2″ slices. Thinly slice the onion.
- Heat the olive oil quite hot without smoking. Lightly brown the bacon and sliced onion. Remove. Dry each piece of stew beef. Brown the beef well on all sides. Add to bacon and onion. Sprinkle flour, salt and pepper over the mixture coating all sides. Place in 400F oven for 2 minutes. Remove, flip each piece and replace for an additional 2 minutes. This creates a coating.
In a large bowl pour 3 cups of red wine, 3 cups of beef stock and one tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir until combined. Add carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and crumbled bay leaf. Add beef, bacon, onion mixture once cooled. Refrigerate.
Melt butter. Add pearl onions. Brown… knowing you can’t do this uniformly… just get some good color on them. Take care to leave them whole. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add enough wine to just cover them. Wrap herbs in cheesecloth and add. Refrigerate.
The next morning.
- Add beef mixture to crockpot and cook on low a minimum of 4 hours.
Just before eating.
Place onion mixture in saucepan. Simmer, uncovered until most of the wine has evaporated.
Cook your choice of boiled potatoes, rice or my favorite, wide egg noodles.
Remove carrots and celery from the beef mixture.
Plate the pasta, rice or potatoes first, then the beef mixture in the middle surrounded by the onions.